Hednesford Park opened in 1931
Some years later, in 1931, Hednesford Park was opened. It was handed over to the local Council by Cannock Chase Miners’ Welfare Committee. Funds for the park had been raised over a number of years by placing a levy of one penny per ton on all coal produced by local mines. By 1930 some £15,000 had been collected. During the opening ceremony, Colonel Williamson, chairman of the committee, declared that he ‘hoped the ground would be appreciated and be a big success and a blessing to the people of Hednesford’.
The new park had two bowling greens, eight tennis courts, putting greens, a cricket pitch and a pavilion with changing facilities. Although the putting greens and cricket pitch have now gone and the original pavilion has since been replaced, the park remains largely unchanged.
Picture: Looking across Hednesford Park towards Hednesford Hills. The road near the centre of the image, winding into the distance, is now known as Valley Road. Once the site of a colliery, today it is a mainly residential area and the location of the Museum of Cannock Chase.